DOD sequestration plans sent to White House

The Defense Department was required to submit to the White House by the end of last week plans for how it will deal with the deep spending cuts required under the sequestration that is scheduled to begin March 1, reports Defense News.

Beginning Feb. 8, the Pentagon's top leadership and service officials will begin a series of high-level meetings with lawmakers over the department's plans to implement the spending cuts, the story said.

Unless Congress takes action, which seems unlikely at press time, the military will embark on a series of defense spending cuts totaling $500 billion over 10 years, the story said.

On Feb. 15, the DOD will submit to Congress a request for authorization to furlough its civilian workers, defense sources told the media outlet. The DOD is the only federal department that has to make this type of request, which requires that such a request be made 45 days before furloughs begin, the story said.

Congressional aides and Pentagon officials are working to arrange a hearing with the service chiefs before the Senate Armed Services Committee on Feb. 12, the story said. SASC is planning a hearing Feb. 26 with former service chiefs. The service chiefs also are scheduled to appear before the House Appropriations defense subcommittee Feb. 26.

The Pentagon fiscal 2014 budget proposal is due to the White House on March 1.

comments powered by Disqus