Sequestration planning gets under way at DOD

The Defense Department is at last coming to grips with how it might handle $500 billion in spending cuts over the next decade scheduled to take effect on Jan. 2 if Congress doesn't head off the impending sequestration with a deficit reduction plan, reports Defense News.

"We actually are starting to do some planning," Frank Kendall, the DOD's acquisition chief, said in a Nov. 5 speech at a government contract management conference in Washington. Until now, DOD officials have said they were not planning for the sequestration cuts, which were established as part of last year's Budget Control Act, the story said.

The DOD might be able to withstand “a few billion” dollar cut to its budget, Kendall said in the story, but larger spending cuts would require the development of a new military strategy.
Following the Nov. 6 national elections, it falls to a lame-duck Congress to devise a way to avoid the sequestration, the story said.

comments powered by Disqus

Defense Systems Update

Sign up for our newsletter.

I agree to this site's Privacy Policy.