Sequestration planning gets under way at DOD

The Defense Department is at last coming to grips with how it might handle $500 billion in spending cuts over the next decade scheduled to take effect on Jan. 2 if Congress doesn't head off the impending sequestration with a deficit reduction plan, reports Defense News.

"We actually are starting to do some planning," Frank Kendall, the DOD's acquisition chief, said in a Nov. 5 speech at a government contract management conference in Washington. Until now, DOD officials have said they were not planning for the sequestration cuts, which were established as part of last year's Budget Control Act, the story said.

The DOD might be able to withstand “a few billion” dollar cut to its budget, Kendall said in the story, but larger spending cuts would require the development of a new military strategy.
 
Following the Nov. 6 national elections, it falls to a lame-duck Congress to devise a way to avoid the sequestration, the story said.

Reader Comments

Sun, Nov 11, 2012 stachia jenkins

I am wondering why we have to have ANY cuts to the only Federal branch we should keep? Yet, having no cuts to the czars and pork that b.o. keeps adding?

Wed, Nov 7, 2012

Nice timing! Wait until the election is over before starting on (or even announcing) plans for the spending cuts so no one can use the process as an election issue - and the whole big mess we have gotten this country into, mostly over the past several years, can be kept out of sight from the electorate when it most counts. So much for "open government". I wonder just what candidate or political party this helped out?

Please post your comments here. Comments are moderated, so they may not appear immediately after submitting. We will not post comments that we consider abusive or off-topic.

Your Name:(optional)
Your Email:(optional)
Your Location:(optional)
Comment:
Please type the letters/numbers you see above